Monday, December 21, 2009

Joyful Solstice


Merry solstice.

I am drawn to earth-based holidays (such the solstice) and am just beginning to explore the rituals that help me celebrate it.

Even though it means increased energy consumption, we string up lights each year. I love the symbolism of bringing light into the world in this dark period, and on my evening walk home from work love to see the neighborhoods lit up.

This year we moved a small fir into our front yard, and it has been our Christmas tree (or sol
stice tree). We gathered snowberry and rose hips and strung them together as ornaments. The snowberry browned a bit after our spell of below-freezing weather, but I still enjoy seeing the ornaments and one of the squirrel's who visits our yard has done a bit of munching on them. Next year I think I will decorate with more ornaments/wildlife food.

I could go on for a long time about gifts. The short of it is that I don't like buying for the sake of buying, but that I do love coming across something that really suites someone. A few days ago I came across a prize that my partner would enjoy at the Menu for Hope raffle, where proceeds go to a new initiative called Purchase for Progress, which enables smallholder and low-income farmers to supply food to the UN global food operations.

No comments:

Post a Comment